Today, we continue building on our discussion about search engine optimization/ SEO by discussing on-page SEO best practices for blogging. With the competitive market, SEO guarantees to increase searchability and visibility by driving more traffic to your company’s website. While SEO will help build exposure to your brand through organic search results, knowing where to start and what tools to use is vital in informing your digital strategy.
The SEO tips below outline the key factors to consider when creating and developing blog content:
- Choose one main keyword or keyphrase
- Make sure your keywords have search volume
- Include the keyword or keyphrase in your title
- Write a title that’s 50-60 characters in length; no more than 70 characters
- Use the keyword or keyphrase naturally throughout the article
- Include the keyword in the first sentence
- Use active language; no passive tense
- At least 500 words
- Keep content skimmable and easy to read (shorter sentences = higher readability)
- Sentences should be less than 20 words; shorter is better
- Include 1-2 external links
- Include 1-3 internal links
- Consider embedding imagery in the content
- Use transitional words and phrases
- Limit your use of difficult words
- Keep paragraphs short (150 words or less)
- Avoid starting sentences with the same word or phrase continuously
- Write short sentences- sentences should be less than 20 words
SEO optimization directly influences traffic to your website. This is why it is essential to factor in on-page SEO best practices when creating and developing content for your site.
Thanks for taking the time to read my Insight about on-page SEO best practices for blogging and tips to consider when making your SEO checklist. Check out, “What is SEO?” and, “Digital Strategy Solutions: Minimizing Network & Computer Solutions,” for more help structuring your digital marketing strategy.
Note: José Loya created this Insight in collaboration with Maven’s Digital Design Intern, Sophia Keller.
Posted In Digital Strategy & Social Media